Vol. 1, Issue 7 – November 11, 2011 – Published twice monthly by MCCE.
Join Missouri Colleagues at ACTE Reception
7:30-9:00 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 17
Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel
A reception for Missouri educators attending the ACTE Annual Convention in St. Louis will be held from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. Thursday, November 17, in the Crystal Ballroom of the Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel. The reception will be an excellent opportunity to network with fellow Missouri career educators. There will be refreshments and door prizes. This reception is sponsored by the University of Central Missouri, Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Missouri Association of Career and Technical Education, and the Missouri Center for Career Education.
To participate in the door prize drawings, bring a copy of the reception announcement with your contact information. Click here to print the reception announcement.
MCCE & UCM Presenters at ACTE Convention
Staff from MCCE and the University of Central Missouri’s Department of Career and Technology Education will offer a number of presentations at the ACTE Annual Convention in St. Louis, November 17-19:
- Wed., Nov. 16 (ACTER): Teaching Efficacy and New Alternatively Certified Career Education Teachers: Results from the New Teacher Institute 2010
- Thurs., Nov. 17: Building a Sustainability Initiative in CTE Programs; Common Core State Standards: Making the CTE Connection; Relationship Between Industry Involvement and Student Placement Rates in a Postsecondary Graphic Arts Program
- Fri., Nov. 18: Professional School Counselor Self-Efficacy: The Impact of Missouri’s Statewide Mentoring Program for New Professional School Counselors
- Sat., Nov. 19: Implementing Literacy and Numeracy Skills into the Career Education Classroom; New Professional School Counselor Retention: How Missouri is Using a Statewide Mentoring Program for New Professional School Counselors to Retain Quality Professional School Counselors
For more information on presenters, times, and locations, click here.
Educators Attend Building Bridges Conference
Educators from throughout Missouri came together at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City last week to participate in the 18th annual Building Bridges Conference. In all, the conference attracted over 300 participants, including 14 exhibitors. Sessions focused on classroom management, school improvement, student transitions, school culture, and integration of core academics and career education. The conference took place Nov. 6-8.
Developing Educators’ Materials for the
Common Core State Standards
MCCE staff and the University of Central Missouri’s College of Education are developing educators’ materials to apply the Common Core State Standards in Missouri. This project involves educators throughout the state to create materials to aid integration of core academics and career education. On November 3 and 4, an initial meeting was held with career education, math, and English language arts teachers to discuss application of the Common Core State Standards. Information obtained at this meeting will be utilized to develop resources and professional development.
Don’t forget that the Resources@MCCE free-loan library offers a wide range of materials for your school and your instructors. Visit the Resources@MCCE library online at http://resources.mcce.org to find materials for your school’s classroom or for professional development events.
You or your teachers can sign up to receive updates on the library by subscribing to the Resources@MCCE list at http://www.mocareered.org/talk/subscribe.php.
- Nov. 17-19 — ACTE Annual Convention, St. Louis
- Dec. 16 — Embedded Credit/Academic Integration session, hosted by Lake Career and Technical Center in Camdenton. RSVP by December 1. For more information or to RSVP, contact Gail White at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-346-9272.
About the Career Directions Newsletter
The Career Directions email newsletter is a twice-monthly bulletin for career education leaders on the activities of the Missouri Center for Career Education and events of significance to career education professionals in Missouri. Our goal is to provide quick updates with links for more information and resources.